Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Author produced the work as an undergraduate, and is either currently enrolled at an undergraduate institution or a recent alum (i.e. graduated within the same calendar year).
- Work has not been previously submitted to CJA, and has not been published by another journal nor is it being currently considered for publication elsewhere.
- Submission is uploaded as a single Microsoft Word document.
- Submission is structured as: (1) cover sheet with the author name, class year, major(s), university, university-affiliated email; (2) manuscript, containing the research/creative content; (3) bibliography (mandatory for research papers, only when applicable for creative works).
- Manuscript has no personally identifying information such as author name, university, or class year (note that creative works that make reference to the author’s identity are still permissible).
- Bibliography (for research papers and, when applicable, creative works) is formatted in accordance with the Author Guidelines.
- For research papers: (1) manuscript is 1,500-4,000 words (notes) or >4,000 words (for articles); (2) double-spaced, Times New Roman, with 1” margins and page numbers; (3) contains a 150-300 word abstract at the start of the manuscript.
- For creative works: (1) manuscript is under 2,000 words; (2) single-spaced for poetry, double-spaced for prose; (3) Times New Roman, with 1” margins and page numbers.
Creative works include—but are not limited to—works of poetry, prose, visual art, and original translations. All creative submissions must be under 2,000 words, and, when external sources are referenced, they must be cited as Chicago-style in-text citations (footnotes) with a full Chicago-style bibliography.
Notes are shorter research papers of 1,500-4,000 words, which should be submitted with Chicago-style in-text citations (footnotes) and a full Chicago-style bibliography.
Articles are longer research papers of 4,000+ words, which should be submitted with Chicago-style in-text citations (footnotes) and a full Chicago-style bibliography.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.