Instructions for Presenters/Panel Chairs/Host Chairs
Times Per Presentation By Type:
Show-and-Tell ( # 1 - #15) = 12 min. each
Paper on Regular Panel (# 1 - # 25) = 20 min. each
2 DH Workshops = 90 min. total
1 Round-Table + screenings = 90 min. total
Plenary Panel (# 1 - #3) 45 min. + screening – 22 min. per presentation
Screening Intros: 5 min. max.
Audiovisual: What to Bring
Format: Powerpoint or Keynote; clips embed in slides – bring on USB/thumb drive – NO computers
Note: Show-and-Tell presentations in Lenfest KOB screening room - 150 seat theatre
Speaker Set up: 15 min. slots before presentations marked on schedule: AV student support in Lenfest KOB + Dodge Hall rooms 511, 507, 508, 504: AV support will copy Powerpoint or Keynote on desktop – with embedded clips (or links embedded). Test any sound and/or Internet access
Lenfest Center for the Arts — Manhattanville Campus — 129th & Broadway
Katharina Otto-Bernstein (KOB) screening room — 150 ranked-seating theatre — elevator to 2nd fl.
Dodge Hall — Morningside Campus — 116th and Broadway — elevator to 5th fl.
Dodge 511 — 78 ranked-seating classroom/theatre
Dodge 507 — 30 seat classroom
Dodge 508 — 30 seat classroom
Dodge 504 — smaller classroom for spillover
For Great Powerpoint presentations:
- Embed clips (mp4, mov, wmv) in slides
- Limit links or videos that require Internet connection to absolute minimum (best if none)
- Use Powerpoint Animation feature to limit amount of text onscreen – bullet points to coordinate point by point with your presentation narration.
- For new Powerpoint design ideas: https://slidesgo.com
Note: We will have AV consultation available in Lenfest KOB green room to check presentations
Tip: Because audiences read text on screen instead of listening to speaker, text needs to = your script
Save long text for the written version!
Instructions to Panel Chairs/Show-and-Tell Host Chair:
- You’re chairing either a 3 person or a 2 person panel or hosting Plenary Panel + Screening event
- No intros necessary - Refer audience to Bios Online to save time; make announcements (See program)
- Presentation times: See above. Please keep time & remind at 2 min. left.
- Discussion: 25 min. (3 person panels); 15 min. (2 person panels) — No Plenary or Show-and-Tell discussion
- Time between panels: Please stop discussion 5 min. before schedule finish time to give everyone time between – rooms are on same floor
COVID policy: Masks indoors in NYC. Building checks at door = proof of vaccination + I.D.
To check Columbia University COVID policy updated daily:
Columbia University COVID Policy